Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 Aug 2006 19:45:40 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         David Neal <afdbn@UAA.ALASKA.EDU>
Subject:      Re: SAS on a laptop
Comments: cc: icno1@AOL.COM

Bob,

What is you definition of large? A thousand observations, a million, 50 million, more? Your biggest bottleneck will probably be how well SAS can read the data from the HD or across the network. I used to think 50 million was big but when you start thinking of your datasets in terms of the number of gigs of space they take up, then you are probably looking at large datasets.

For "large" datasets on a laptop, you want to maximize your ram, the speed of your hard drives (and their configuration) and your network connection if applicable. Even the best laptops today barely come close to a good desktop system. (Note: I'm assuming you already maximized the CPU.) If you really are trying to work with large datasets in "real time" dump the idea of a laptop and focus on a solid desktop. If, on the other hand, your datasets are smaller than a couple of hundred megs, a nice laptop will do just fine. Any laptop with a couple of gigs of ram and faster hard drives would probably be sufficient.

David Neal

icno1@AOL.COM wrote: > Does someone have a recommendation for me regarding a laptop for running SAS? > > I need to run Stat and Graph modules with fairly large data sets. Can this be done in real time on a laptop or should I use a desktop PC? > > Thanks, > Bob > > ________________________________________________________________________ > Check out AOL.com today. Breaking news, video search, pictures, email and IM. All on demand. Always Free. >