Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2006)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Sep 2006 11:31:23 +0200
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Spousta Jan <JSpousta@CSAS.CZ>
Subject:      Re: change of perceptions
Comments: To: DR VEENA Joshi <drveena.joshi@gmail.com>

Hi Veena,

1) It is possible that there is no clear "turning point" - rather, the changes may be continuous, eg. every year of age may change the perception by 0.01 p. Try to plot the means of the Likert scale against the age groups say 10 years wide and look for possible turning points.

2) An useful method for detecting breakpoints of this type are decision trees - run a tree (C5, CART, CHAID or whatever you like) with the likert scale as dependent/target variable and age as the predictor.

HTH

Jan

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of DR VEENA Joshi Sent: Friday, September 01, 2006 11:22 AM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: change of perceptions

Hi,

We have done a survey on perceptions about healthcare system using likert scale (1 to 5). One of the demographic variable is age which is continuous. I categorized age into 3 groups <40, 40 - 60 and >60 and found that respondents perceptions/attitude differ age groupwise. I would like to find the truning point at which the difference exists. How do I get this?

I am trying to get small age groups say 5 years, but the age ranges from 18 to 90 years.

pl. advice.

veena