Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2006, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 Sep 2006 15:36:01 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Howard Schreier <hs AT dc-sug DOT org>" <nospam@HOWLES.COM>
Subject:      Re: How to remove leading blanks from macro variables

On Sat, 2 Sep 2006 13:50:12 -0400, Joe Whitehurst <joewhitehurst@GMAIL.COM> wrote:

>Rune, > >Let me confute all the other respondents to your question by pointing >out that this issue just cannot arise with the more modern SAS >Component Language when creating symbolic variables for conditionally >controlling the creation and execution of any SAS code whatsoever >especially in batch processing environments. With SAS Component >Language numeric values remain numeric values even when the variables >containing them are used as symbolic variables.. There is never an >issue caused by the implicit retyping of variables. SAS Component >Language List elements are always left aligned without regard to their >type. So go forth and learn about the more modern SAS Component >Language and leave the Antiquated Macro Language for your inferiors >to wallow in..

But, there is no use of the macro *language* in this scenario; no %MACRO. There is use of macro *variables*, but that's not the same thing.

There's been a lot of debate (I'm being charitable) here recently over the proposition that people should abandon the macro language. The idea does not seem to be getting much traction.

Suggesting abandonment of macro variables altogether is a more extreme position and I would say even less defensible.

In this particular situation the macro variables are loaded via the "host variable" mechanism (INTO : ). PROC SQL supports this mechanism for macro variables but not, as far as I can see, for SCL (and that may say something about SAS Institute's perceptions of the centrality of SCL). So what would be the mechanism for feeding SQL results to SCL? Probably more roundabout than what Rune is doing here.