Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2006, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Sep 2006 22:44:40 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         David L Cassell <davidlcassell@MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: proc loes and binary depedent variable

adel_tangi@YAHOO.FR wrote: > >Dear All, > Is there any one in the list, who has an example for using proc loess >with binary dependent variable and one or multiple independent variables? > > Many thanks > > Adel >

I would not recommend LOESS for a binary dependent variable.

LOESS can certainly handle multivariate data. But the fit is done as a weighted least squares model of linear and/or quadratic forms of the regressors. So using it as is, on categorical data, is not the best idea.

Instead, I would look into PROC GAM. It can fit splines and other nonparametric models, as well as semi-parametric models and parametric models, and it can fit them to binary dependent variables too.

But if you fit a complex nonparametric model to your data, will you be able to answer the hypotheses you had originally?

HTH, David -- David L. Cassell mathematical statistician Design Pathways 3115 NW Norwood Pl. Corvallis OR 97330

_________________________________________________________________ Check the weather nationwide with MSN Search: Try it now! http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=weather&FORM=WLMTAG