Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2006, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Sep 2006 09:16:40 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Jack Clark <JClark@CHPDM.UMBC.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Length function doesn't work (Data too long for column ... tr
              uncated)
Comments: To: Irin later <irinfigvam@YAHOO.COM>

Irin,

The log you provided shows the lengths being set in a dataset called ORIG. The ERROR message you are getting is when you are printing a dataset called FLU_SINGLE2.

NOTE: There were 20 observations read from the data set WORK.FLU_SINGLE2. WHERE enroll='Y';

Check that the lengths of the fields are set in the datasets you are printing. When you see this message in the log, it generally refers to truncation for printing purposes - the actual data is not truncated.

Jack Clark Research Analyst Center for Health Program Development and Management University of Maryland, Baltimore County

-----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Irin later Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2006 9:01 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Length function doesn't work (Data too long for column ... truncated)

At the very beginning of my code I set the length of the character data fields like that: data ORIG; 593 length asked_question $ 6; 594 length response_to_question $ 6; 595 length accepts_calls $ 3; 596 length wrong_phone_number $ 6;

However after I run the whole code Print data caused a WARNING message regarding too long data as below:

656 %macro diag2(dsn,resp); 657 proc print data=&dsn (obs=20); 658 var shot shotdate questiondate; 659 where shot = "&resp"; 660 title "Printout of &dsn to check shot variable where shot=&resp"; 661 run; 662 663 proc print data=&dsn (obs=20); 664 var enroll startdate enddate accepts_calls wrong_phone_number; 665 where enroll = "&resp"; 666 title "Printout of &dsn to check enroll variable where enroll=&resp"; 667 run; 668 669 %mend; 670 671 %diag1(flu_single2);

WARNING: Data too long for column "accepts_calls"; truncated to 93 characters to fit. WARNING: Data too long for column "wrong_phone_number"; truncated to 93 characters to fit. NOTE: There were 20 observations read from the data set WORK.FLU_SINGLE2. WHERE enroll='Y'; NOTE: PROCEDURE PRINT used: real time 0.01 seconds cpu time 0.01 seconds

I do not understand why LENGTH function, which I set at the very beginning, does not work for these fields. Is it because of the macro? Why? How can I fix it ?

Thank you in advance,

Irin

--------------------------------- Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2/min or less.