Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2006, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Sep 2006 16:38:15 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Fehd, Ronald J. (CDC/CCHIS/NCPHI)" <rjf2@CDC.GOV>
Subject:      Re: Death of the Mainframe? (was PC SAS vs. Mainframe SAS)

> From: Alan Churchill > http://news.com.com/2100-1006_3-6119618.html

> Teraflop PCs anyone? 80 cores by 2008?

> Can I port MVS(z/OS) to it?

I'm just out of a meeting with IBM reps who are thinking that we may want to examine AIX: Advanced IBM UniX

I'll leave it to you to figure out whether the redundancy or oxymoron is Advanced IBM or IBM UniX! <g>

http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/aix/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIX_operating_system

note that they are serious about having you consider this a MVS / z/OS alternative: packages to implement ChargeBack costs based on storage, cpu usage, and i/o usage.

http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/aix/whitepapers/aix_accounting.pdf

Ron Fehd the rusty z/OS maven CDC Atlanta GA USA RJF2 at cdc dot gov