Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2006, week 5)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Sep 2006 11:58:22 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Terjeson, Mark" <Mterjeson@RUSSELL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Question about PUT numeric into character in PROC SQL
Comments: To: Yongshan Lin <yongshan.lin@GMAIL.COM>

Hi,

As your error message indicates, you should not use the $ in the format, for either datastep or SQL.

proc sql; create table test2 as select put(age,3.) as newvar from sashelp.class; quit;

data test3; set sashelp.class; newvar = put(age,3.); run;

* this will get a WARNING message ; data test4; set sashelp.class; newvar = put(age,$3.); run;

Hope this is helpful.

Mark Terjeson Senior Programmer Analyst, IM&R Russell Investment Group

Russell Global Leaders in Multi-Manager Investing

-----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Yongshan Lin Sent: Friday, September 29, 2006 11:26 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Question about PUT numeric into character in PROC SQL

* Hi all, I got a simple question but don't know the answer.

I have a numeric variable and want to use PROC SQL to change it into character variable, but failed. However when I use data step to do it, it works, as follows.

Any input will be appreciated. Thanks.

*********************************************; data* test; input var; cards; 12 ; proc sql; create table test2 as select put(var,$3.) as newvar from test; *****This one does not work; ** *data* test2; set test; newvar = put(var,$3.); run; **** This one works;