Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2006)Back to main GABO-L pageJoin or leave GABO-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Mon, 2 Oct 2006 10:58:11 -0400
Sender:   Georgia Birders Online <GABO-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Bob Zaremba <bobzarem@PRODIGY.NET>
Subject:   Bradley Unit, Eufala NWR on Sunday

On Sunday, Deb and I met Karen and Luke Theodorou and Walt Chambers and birded the Bradley Unit of Eufala NWR. It was a great morning and the birds were very active. The road in to the refugee was covered with INDIGO BUNTINGS and we also saw some PRAIRE WARBLERS, AMERICAN REDSTARTS, NORTHERN PARULA, PINE and of course COMMON YELLOWTHROATS. It seemed like it was going to be a great day. We were not disapointed. As we left the parking lot we encountered some nice flocks of migrants. There were more Indigo Buntings, and we added GOLDEN-WINGED, BLUE-WINGED, MAGNOLIA, TENNESSEE, CHESTNUT-SIDED, BLACKBURNIAN, YELLOW-THROATED, PALM, BLACK-AND-WHITE, NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH, and HOODED for at total of 16 species of warblers. We also had at least a dozen EASTERN WOOD-PEWEE calling and hawking insects. The most interesting birds of the day were two juvenile WHITE-CROWNED SPARROWS found near the silo fields. The GOS Annotated Checklist of Georgia Birds lists the early date for the state as being 4 October, so this would be a new early date. Very cool! Here are some of the highlights of the 70 species we observed;

Osprey 2 American Kestrel 2 PEREGRINE FALCON 2 Falcon sp. 1 (most likely a Merlin but not 100% sure) Sora 2 Eastern Wood-Pewee 10 Yellow-throated Vireo 2 Red-eyed Vireo only 1! Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher 2 Blue-winged Warbler 1 Golden-winged Warbler 1 Tennessee Warbler 10 Northern Parula 30 Chestnut-sided Warbler 4 Magnolia Warbler 12 Blackburnian Warbler 1 Yellow-throated Warbler 5 Pine Warbler 12 Prairie Warbler 3 Palm Warbler 25 Black-and-white Warbler 1 American Redstart 15 Northern Waterthrush 3 Common Yellowthroat 30 Hooded Warbler 3 Swamp Sparrow 1 FOTS White-crowned Sparrow 2 FOTS Blue Grosbeak 5 Indigo Bunting 50+ Baltimore Oriole 2

It was a great morning to be out birding and this is a fantastic site. Just a work of caution if any one is heading to their next weekend, their is a youth hunt scheduled for next weekend (not sure which day) so call ahead and check first. It appears that they are doing some work on the ponds near the silo and the fields are not yet flooded. The conditions look better this year for LeConte's Sparrows if things continue the way they are looking in the fields.

Good birding! Bob Zaremba Marietta, GA