Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2006)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Oct 2006 17:58:11 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Alina Sheyman <asheyman@FAMILYOFFICE.COM>
Subject:      Faulty filters

Hi all, Here's a bit of an odd question dealing with filters in SPSS. I have been running into a problem where I apply a filter to my SPSS database and then proceed to run some calculations. Despite the fact that the filter has been set SPSS proceeds to do calculations on all the records, even the ones that have been filtered out. Any idea why this happens and how I can get around this problem? Second part of the question deals with a similar problem. I apply a filter to pick up only those records where appr_reporting =1 (see below) and then run the following syntax (each CompanyRecordID here is its own record, so in reality SPSS is not summarizing anything, but rather simply reporting on the existing records)-

CTABLES/TABLE CompanyRecordID by Appr_Reporting[MEAN]+Is_Enhanced[MEAN]+ Office_AGE_CAT[MEAN]+Office_AGE_CAT2[MEAN]+q303New[MEAN].

When I run this through SPSS ignores the filter and returns all the records. Any idea why this is happening?

Alina Sheyman, Family Office Exchange