Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2006)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Oct 2006 11:32:47 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Bauer, John H." <jbauer@SPSS.COM>
Subject:      Re: data list within a simple macro won't work

Try a more liberal sprinkling of periods!

define qwerty (). data list / empty 1-5 (a). begin data. empty end data. !enddefine.

qwerty. end data.

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Beadle, ViAnn Sent: Friday, October 27, 2006 9:51 AM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: data list within a simple macro won't work

How about a simple NEW FILE command in place of the macro?

________________________________

From: SPSSX(r) Discussion on behalf of Marta García-Granero Sent: Fri 10/27/2006 9:33 AM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: data list within a simple macro won't work

Hi Albert-Jan

(You shouldn't complain, my parents christened me using 4 names, fortunately, only one shows in my documents and ID card)

Now, seriously:

AjR> Sometimes I create a mini data set just to unload the current data AjR> set so I can rename it, change the attributes, move it, etc. But AjR> why does the syntax below not work? SPSS keeps giving the message AjR> 'waiting for more inline data'. Indenting, or putting everything on AjR> one line does not help. Any ideas?

AjR> Albert-Jan AjR> (that guy so nice they named him twice ;-))

After a bit of T&E (Trial and Error, the best method to learn SPSS syntax sometimes - wry smile), I've found out this:

The BEGIN DATA... END DATA part should be outside the macro, I'm afraid. I couldn't find any reference of that in the syntax guide (but that doesn't necessarily mean it isn't there, I've failed to notice some items in the past).

This works OK, but is of little use:

DEFINE !qwerty(). INPUT PROGRAM. DATA LIST FIXED/NoData 1-5 (A). END INPUT PROGRAM. EXECUTE. !ENDDEFINE.

!qwerty. BEGIN DATA empty END DATA.

I have tried to put the BEGIN DATA... END DATA inside a second macro to call them consecutevely, but it doesn't work either.

The only thing I can concoct in my brain is to use WRITE OUTFILE to save to disk a file with the necessary commands, and then INCLUDE OR INSERT it.

Don't blame the messenger...

-- Regards, Dr. Marta García-Granero,PhD mailto:biostatistics@terra.es Statistician

--- "It is unwise to use a statistical procedure whose use one does not understand. SPSS syntax guide cannot supply this knowledge, and it is certainly no substitute for the basic understanding of statistics and statistical thinking that is essential for the wise choice of methods and the correct interpretation of their results".

(Adapted from WinPepi manual - I'm sure Joe Abrahmson will not mind)