Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2006)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Mon, 30 Oct 2006 13:56:51 -0800
Sender:   "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   peter link <plink@vapop.ucsd.edu>
Subject:   Re: bar graph with no raw data

Hi Marta -

Thanks for the response. I am trying to figure out how this code works. I am unfamiliar with the computed quantity K. What is its meaning (if there is any)?

I also realize there are some problems associated with doing something like this. However, I would like to make a bar braph obtained from the 'Expected Marginal Means' in the GLM Univariate procedure. I didn't see another way of doing this. I would be open to other ideas of how to approach this problem, keeping in mind I'm running v11.5.

Thanks Again,

Peter

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf Of Marta Garcma-Granero Sent: Monday, October 30, 2006 12:28 PM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: bar graph with no raw data

Hi Peter

You can adapt Valentim Alferes' code to get t-tests from summary data to generate a dataset with the same means & SD ans your summary data, and then use an IGRAPH:

http://www.spsstools.net/Syntax/T-Test/TTestEffectSizeNonoverlapAndPower.txt

** METHOD 2: Reproducing the SPSS T Test standard output from ** summary statistics in published articles.

* I have adapted it a bit to suit your needs *.

* Enter, row by row, N, Mean, and SD for Groups 1 and 2. DATA LIST LIST /N(F8.0) M(F8.2) SD(F8.2) group(A8). BEGIN DATA 17 7.46 1.98 group1 15 5.34 2.14 group2 END DATA.

LOOP ID=1 TO N. - XSAVE OUTFILE=XOUT1. END LOOP. EXECUTE. GET FILE=XOUT1. COMPUTE DV=M. COMPUTE K=SQR((SD**2*(N-1))/2). IF (ID=1) DV=M+K. IF ID=2) DV=M-K. EXECUTE.

* The graph you need *. IGRAPH /VIEWNAME='Grafico de barras' /X1 = VAR(group) TYPE = CATEGORICAL /Y = VAR(DV) TYPE = SCALE /COORDINATE = VERTICAL /X1LENGTH=3.0 /YLENGTH=3.0 /X2LENGTH=3.0 /CHARTLOOK='NONE' /CATORDER VAR(group) (ASCENDING VALUES OMITEMPTY) /BAR(MEAN) KEY=ON SHAPE = RECTANGLE BASELINE = AUTO /ERRORBAR SD(1.0) DIRECTION = UP CAPWIDTH (45) CAPSTYLE = T. EXE.

PL> I would like to make a bar graph (with error bars). I have the mean, PL> standard deviation, and N for each of the 2 groups, but no raw data.

Regards, Marta

PD: there are a lot of arguments against the use of such graphs to sumarize continuous data, but you were not asking for them, but for the graph only...