Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2006, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 1 Oct 2006 23:33:32 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Joe Whitehurst <joewhitehurst@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: OT Saturday: What a Great NESUG Conference
Comments: To: Michael Raithel <michaelraithel@westat.com>

Michael,

When you're dining with mules I suppose it's okay to dive into whatever cheese steaks you can find. I think it's time for Atlanta to show the NESUG low life's what real dining is about. I hereby invite any and all of SESUG to join me in a celebration of the venerable Macro Facility by joining me and others in sampling the best dining Atlanta has to offer. No cheese steaks here, just world class dining at the BuckheadLlife Group Restaurants (http://www.buckheadrestaurants.com/index2.htm) starting with the Atlanta Fish Market in the heart of Buckhead where the action is in Atlanta. Get on the list early by simply sending me an email expressing your wish to celebrate the venerable SAS Macro Facility! I can provide some lodging. some transportation and much guidance about Atlanta. I have a pool table where most people have dinner tables, so I challenge all the SESUG pool sharks to a game or two!

Joe

On 9/30/06, Michael Raithel <michaelraithel@westat.com> wrote: > Dear SAS-L-ers, > > It was great to meet a number of you at NESUG 2006, a week ago, in > Philadelphia, PA! I had not attended a NESUG conference in about five > years, and found NESUG 2006 to be a very enjoyable and rewarding > conference. The papers were very technically strong, with a > particularly solid Coder's Corner section. (I brought back a handful of > good ideas that I am going to push forward at SAS Mecca). The keynote > speech by Rick Langston was as hilarious as it was informative, and of > the "mixers" allowed me to catch up with some of you that I have not > been able to talk to, face-to-face, in ages. > > For those of you who proffered advice on where to get a good Philly > cheesesteak: Dianne Rhodes (the designated driver), Ron Fehd, Mike > Rhoads, and I traveled to South Philly and had a great Philly > cheesesteak at Pat's, on Sunday before the conference. On Monday, Mike > Rhoads and I had a Philly cheesesteak at Rick's in Reading Market; not > far from the conference hotel. It was both of the M.R.'s opinions that > the Pat's cheesesteak was better than the Rick's cheesesteak. So much > for haute couture! > > If you are a SAS-L-er who has not attended a regional SAS User Group, I > would wholeheartedly recommend doing so. They usually provide a > plethora of great technical papers that will boost your SAS knowledge; a > chance to network with your SAS-using peers from other organizations, a > chance to meet SAS Institute technical folks and salespeople, and a > chance to meet fellow SAS-L-ers in a relaxed, fun atmosphere. So, save > a seat for me in the front row of Coder's Corner, and I'll see you at > the next regional SUG:-) > > Best of luck to you in all of your SAS endeavors! > > > I hope that this suggestion proves helpful now, and in the future! > > Of course, all of these opinions and insights are my own, and do not > reflect those of my organization or my associates. All SAS code and/or > methodologies specified in this posting are for illustrative purposes > only and no warranty is stated or implied as to their accuracy or > applicability. People deciding to use information in this posting do so > at their own risk. > > +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ > Michael A. Raithel > "The man who wrote the book on performance" > E-mail: MichaelRaithel@westat.com > > Author: Tuning SAS Applications in the MVS Environment > > Author: Tuning SAS Applications in the OS/390 and z/OS Environments, > Second Edition > http://www.sas.com/apps/pubscat/bookdetails.jsp?catid=1&pc=58172 > > Author: The Complete Guide to SAS Indexes > http://www.sas.com/apps/pubscat/bookdetails.jsp?catid=1&pc=60409 > > +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ > One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly > making exciting discoveries. - A. A. Milne > +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ >

-- To paraphrase G. Santayana, the SAS Macro Facility used by common SAS programmers is an old mate that gives no pleasure and many headaches, yet she/he cannot live without it, and resents any aspersions that strangers may cast on its character