Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2006, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Fri, 6 Oct 2006 13:00:50 -0400
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   "Howard Schreier <hs AT dc-sug DOT org>" <nospam@HOWLES.COM>
Subject:   Re: Tips based on Q&A experience

On Fri, 6 Oct 2006 07:04:28 -0700, Audimar P. Bangi <audi@SAS2THEMAX.COM> wrote:

>Peter, > >It is not my intention to "fragment" resources because I'm not interested >in "tips" that have already been tagged as such here at SAS-L, or has been >published elsewhere. > >As you probably agree with me, it is not easy to browse hundreds upon >hundreds of SAS-L postings and be able to see right away what resolved >which problem. Wouldn't it be nice if someone else does the abstracting >for you (with the help of those who think their Q&A experience could >benefit other users)? Based from my experience, I know there are users who >discover solutions based on clues or hints given by other SAS-L >subscribers. You won't be able find these "discoveries" by browsing the >SAS-L archive! > >Audimar

Actually, there are hundreds of thousands of archived SAS-L postings. Usually the big problem is finding the one or two which are needed at a particular moment.

Now what will you do if you are successful and amass hundreds of good tips? What sort of organization and navigation will help a person to find the right one? Keep in mind the big problem with the SAS documentation, which is that the information seeker often does not know enough about SAS concepts and jargon to find the right page via any of the available devices (table of contents, index, full-text search).