Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2006, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Oct 2006 05:24:11 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Jim Groeneveld <jim2stat@YAHOO.CO.UK>
Subject:      Re: Sample size in clinical trial
Comments: To: Madan Kundu <Madan.Kundu@RANBAXY.COM>

Hi Madan,

Instead of your "inferiority trial" I would say: For non-inferiority trial, Ho : Mu(r) - Mu(t) < Delta H1 : Mu(r) - Mu(t) >= Delta (Delta negative)

With usual superiority tests you test with Delta=0, i.e. whether the difference is significantly larger than 0. If you want to show a significant difference of say 30, your Delta should be 30, a super-superiority. If you want to show non-inferiority, like above, you set Delta to e.g. -30. This would show a significant difference of certainly -30, meaning that the difference actually is around 0 or positive.

This is the way to test non-inferiority and equivalence: you choose reasonable Delta values close to 0 (positive and negative), that you regard conceptually or clinically just unequal to 0 and test with those. An equivalence test would imply two non-inferiority tests in either direction. In quite some software calculating sample size you may enter the difference to test for. This is mostly 0, but may be specified positive (super-superiority) or negative (non-inferiority).

I don't know about the alternative formulas by head, but you may find them quite well on the internet.

Regards - Jim. -- Jim Groeneveld, Netherlands Statistician, SAS consultant home.hccnet.nl/jim.groeneveld