Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2006)Back to main GABO-L pageJoin or leave GABO-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Nov 2006 16:57:01 -0500
Sender:       Georgia Birders Online <GABO-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         John Galvani <jgalvani@CAPE.COM>
Subject:      Eared Grebe in Glennville

While Gene Wilkinson was generously guiding me around the Glennville Wastewater Facility in Tatnall Co. this morning (11-8), we observed an EARED GREBE in one of the ponds. The bird was swimming and diving by itself and we observed it at close range. After Gene left, I returned to the pond and observed the bird again at length. Other birds that Gene thought of note today were an American Bittern and a Dunlin.

Location of grebe: Follow main entrance road past first ponds until you reach the fence and gate that leads to pump station. Take the immediate left rather than turning right through the gate. Go up the rise onto the dike and go straight. The bird was in the second pond on the left at the end of the pond nearest this dike. I checked the site a few times up to 3 pm and the grebe was usually near the end of the pond, but occasionally swam part way down the pond. There were some pied-billed grebes in the same pond and several in the neighboring ponds, but the eared grebe was usually by itself.

John Galvani Glynn County