Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (November 2006)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 Nov 2006 06:20:41 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Statisticsdoc <statisticsdoc@cox.net>
Subject:      Re: PCA factor score uses?
Comments: To: "Fredric E. Rose" <frose@palomar.edu>

Fred,

Yes, the scores can be used as dependent variables.

Factor scores are standardized with Mean = 0 and SD = 1 , so your groups are quite different from one another.

Best,

Stephen Brand

For personalized and professional consultation in statistics and research design, visit www.statisticsdoc.com

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf Of Fredric E. Rose Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 10:18 PM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: PCA factor score uses?

I'm not entirely familiar with PCA and could use some help.

I've used PCA w/varimax rotation to reduce 10 variables (answers to a racism attitudes questionnaire) down to 2 factors. I want to know if the calculated factor scores for each participant can then be used as a dependent variable in subsequent analyses, or whether I should simply combine the variables loading on the respective factors and use those? My problem is in interpreting the factor scores: Group 1 has a mean of -2.72 and Group 2 has a mean of 2.68. These are significantly different, but I'm not sure what the means represent (the raw data are scores ranging from 1 to 10, so there are no negatives).

Thanks for any insight.

Fred Rose