Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2006, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Fri, 24 Nov 2006 16:01:29 +0000
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Ian Whitlock <iw1junk@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:   Re: Format in data step - errot on reopening table
Comments:   cc: Andreww <andrew.whittam@GMAIL.COM>

Andrew,

Your data is stored in a SAS library (directory under Windows or Unix). You could store the formats permanently in the same library. If you use the libref LIBRARY they will automatically be found. If you choose something like MYLIB and

options fmtsearch = ( mylib ) ;

Then the format will be found. The parentheses indicate a list of librefs. Hence you can spread formats over several directories. They will be searched in the order listed. By default WORK and LIBRARY assumed first.

If you come from a system where formats are stored with data this may not seem natural, but it pays off when you have the same format for hundred different data sets. Personally I generally store formats in one place for a project while the data may be spread over several libraries, but it is largely a matter of style and the nature of the projects.

Ian Whitlock =============== Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 07:14:28 -0800 Reply-To: Andreww <andrew.whittam@GMAIL.COM> Sender: "SAS(r) Discussion" From: Andreww <andrew.whittam@GMAIL.COM> Organization: http://groups.google.com Subject: Format in data step - errot on reopening table Comments: To: sas-l Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" I have a format in a datastep which gives a variables value a label/description. When I try to reopen the table to view it I get a "Error: Unable to open table xyz..." when the format itself no longer exists. Rather than hard code the labels in the data step, is there some way that I can permanently format the variable in the datastep? Thanks Andrew