Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2006, week 5)Back to main CONCH-L pageJoin or leave CONCH-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Nov 2006 08:45:58 -0500
Sender:       Conchologists List <CONCH-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         John Varner <johnsvarner@MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Scapharca made 300000 people sick and be sent to
              hospital

In the Eastern U.S., sewage treatment is now usually fairly effective. Yet many estuaries are heavily polluted with coliform bacteria and (ironically) antibiotics, and experience eutrophication (sp?) that leads to red tide and lysteria outbreaks, from the virtually unregulated run-off from corporate agriculture (feed-lot livestock) operations. Big Business makes a couple more cents per pound of meat by driving small family farms out of business, increasing antibiotic resistance, raising animals in deplorable conditions, and most germane to our interests here, trashing the marine ecosystem. What some would call "free market enterprise" is hardly free in terms of the price we pay in environmental degradation. It just takes longer for the bill to come due.

- John Varner

----- Original Message ----- From: Stemke Douglas<mailto:stemked@YAHOO.COM> To: CONCH-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU<mailto:CONCH-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> Sent: Wednesday, November 29, 2006 7:45 AM Subject: Re: Scapharca made 300000 people sick and be sent to hospital

Just to add to that when I was at the Center of Marine Biotechnology in Maryland there was a neighboring lab run by Retia Colwell. A portion of their research was analyzing microbial pathogens from Waikiki Beach using PCR technologies. It was amazing, and disturbing, at the list and concentration of pathogens they were finding there in the offshore waters as a result of fecal contamination.

[text/html]