Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2006)Back to main GABO-L pageJoin or leave GABO-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Sat, 2 Dec 2006 11:29:06 -0500
Sender:   Georgia Birders Online <GABO-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Marion Dobbs <marion@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:   Update on county database

Note that I said "on" and not "to" county database! I have good news and more good news.

First, David Hedeen has graciously agreed to take on the maintenance of the basic species x county spreadsheet. He kindly volunteered, and I didn't have to twist his arm at all, though I was prepared to do so. I'll let him tell you how he'd like you to contact him and how the project will be managed henceforth.

Second, Steve Holzman has received that same spreadsheet and is using it to create some state distribution maps for our GA species. A great addition to the project. I've sure passed the baton to a couple of outstanding recipients.

I'll hang on to the huge body of original data all tucked away in an intricate structure of folders and spreasheets; the 159 county sheets all arcanely coded as to source and date and decipherable only by me; the summary and code and stats sheets, and so forth. I have made the database into my own likeness and can't imagine who else could make sense of it. But rest assured that if any of it is ever published in any form, I know who you are! Acknowledgements would, of course, be forthcoming in that event.

Lastly, I need to express my regrets to those of you who sent me data after the 27 Oct. deadline. I had to cut it off somewhere. My special apologies to Sheila Willis who sent an enormous amount of information, all beautifully organized, extensively annotated, and carefully researched. I will retain all of this in the main database, but will also send it along to David and Steve.

Thanks again to all who supported me in this project. Marion

Marion Dobbs O> Rome (Floyd Co) GA / ) marion@mindspring.com /