Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2006)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 8 Dec 2006 11:07:57 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Egon Kraan <egon.kraan@tns-global.com>
Subject:      Re: Saving data from SPSS to Excel file.
Comments: To: Shauna Marie Wilhelm <NORSKEN@uwyo.edu>

Shauna,

Other than ensuring that your data is numeric and missing values are also stated as values. Make sure that your large data file fits in excel.

SPSS can handle far more variables and cases than Excel. You are likely to run into trouble if your data file is larger than what excel can handle.

For instance, SPSS can handle 2.5 billion cases and 2.5 billion variables.

Excel can handle a little under 66k rows and 256 columns.

If your data set is larger than that, you may want to look into exporting to another application.. perhaps MS Access, or I believe Quattro Pro has larger set limits.

Hope that helps

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf Of Shauna Marie Wilhelm Sent: Friday, December 08, 2006 10:40 AM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Saving data from SPSS to Excel file.

I am trying to save a very large data set into an excel file, but when I open up the excel file all of the system missing cells have "Null!" Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can export the data into excel without having the cells in excel show Null! I have tried to copy and paste the data, but the data file is too large to copy all at once and I am afraid I might forget some cases if I only copy a small section of data at a time.

Thank you for your assistance in advance.