Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2006, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Thu, 7 Dec 2006 16:28:26 +0000
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   toby dunn <tobydunn@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:   Re: sorting problem
Comments:   To: Nathaniel_Wooding@DOM.COM

Nat ,

Why would it grip at you? All the code says is if there is a variable(s) that start with B then retain them. It does not say there must be variables that start with B. So if they are there great and fi they arent then great too. Hey its a win-win situation.

Toby Dunn

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever. Aristophanes

Wise people, even though all laws were abolished, would still lead the same life. Aristophanes

You should not decide until you have heard what both have to say. Aristophanes

From: Nat Wooding <Nathaniel_Wooding@DOM.COM> Reply-To: Nathaniel_Wooding@DOM.COM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: sorting problem Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 11:24:44 -0500

Null

Now that does make sense. However, SAS does not gripe at us which I would expect.

Nat

"data _null_;" <datanull@gmail.c om> To Nathaniel_Wooding@dom.com 12/07/2006 11:22 cc AM SAS-L@listserv.uga.edu Subject Re: sorting problem

On 12/7/06, Nat Wooding <Nathaniel_Wooding@dom.com> wrote: > A small addendum to this tread: > Moreover, while doing a little playing, I may have stumbled on a small bug. > Consider the following code: > > data a; > set sashelp.class(keep=name obs=3); > if _n_=1 then do; > newvar = 99; > xvar= 191; > end; > > retain a b : 22 ; > proc print; > run; > > Now, as I count variables, there should be 5 in the output data set: name, > newvar,xvar, a and b. However, when I run this on WinXP, 9.1, I get only 4 > -- there is no variable called "b". > > The log reads: > > NOTE: There were 3 observations read from the data set SASHELP.CLASS. > NOTE: The data set WORK.A has 3 observations and 4 variables >

Hold the phone. The colon "says" retain variables that begin with B. The colon implies they already exist. You cannot create variables this way. Seems correct to me.

----------------------------------------- CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This electronic message contains information which may be legally confidential and/or privileged and does not in any case represent a firm ENERGY COMMODITY bid or offer relating thereto which binds the sender without an additional express written confirmation to that effect. The information is intended solely for the individual or entity named above and access by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this information is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this electronic transmission in error, please reply immediately to the sender that you have received the message in error, and delete it. Thank you.

_________________________________________________________________ Get free, personalized commercial-free online radio with MSN Radio powered by Pandora http://radio.msn.com/?icid=T002MSN03A07001