LISTSERV at the University of Georgia
Menubar Imagemap
Home Browse Manage Request Manuals Register
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Dec 2006 09:52:01 +0100
Reply-To:     =?windows-1257?Q?Samir_Omerovi=E3?= <>
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         =?windows-1257?Q?Samir_Omerovi=E3?= <>
Subject:      Re: Significant difference - Means
Comments: To: Spousta Jan <JSpousta@CSAS.CZ>
In-Reply-To:  <>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="windows-1257"

Hi Jan,

I think that I can not use Independent samples T-test since I have dependent variables. Those 500 students are the part of 1000 respondents. I do not want to test students vs. non-students but students vs. all (non-students + students).


-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Spousta Jan Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 9:31 AM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: Significant difference - Means

I am very sorry, but this would be wrong in this case. Because the number 3.5 is not a constant known with (almost) no error, but a sample statistics based on the 1000 respondents. Therefore the Independent-samples T-test should be used as I've written in my previous posting.


-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of John Antonakis Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 9:25 AM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: Significant difference - Means

If you wiysh to test the mean of a particular group against the mean of a particular value then you can use the single-sample t-test (from the Menus Analyze/Compare Means/One sample t-test), or use the syntax:



At 09:05 19.12.2006 +0100, =?iso-8859-2?Q?Samir_Omerovi=E6?= wrote: >Hi to all, > > > >My first question is what test should I use if I need to assess the >significance of the mean of some subgroup in comparison the mean of the >total population. For example I have 1000 respondents that answered a >question on 7-point scale. Their mean/average is 3,5. I have 500 >students among those 1000 respondents with mean/average 2,9. I want to >know if these values are significantly different. >What test should I use in SPSS? > > > >Thanks to all in advance. > > > >Samir > > > >GfK BH > >Centar za istrazivanje trzista i javnog mnijenja d.o.o. > > > >Samir Omeroviż > >Researcher > > > >71 000 Sarajevo, Skenderija 44 > >Bosna i Hercegovina > > > > > >Tel: +387 33 550 300 > >Fax: +387 33 444 226 > > > > > > > > > > > >----------------------------------------- > >This e-mail (and any attachment/s) contains confidential and/or >privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have >received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately >and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or >distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden. > >Ova e-poruka sadrzi povjerljive i/ili povlastene podatke. Ako niste >osoba naznacena kao primalac molimo odmah upozoriti posiljaoca i >unistiti primljenu e-poruku. >Neautorizirano kopiranje, >objavljivanje ili distribucija sadrzaja e-poruke striktno je zabranjeno. > >--------------------------------------- > >


Prof. John Antonakis Faculty of Management and Economics University of Lausanne Internef #527 CH-1015 Lausanne-Dorigny Switzerland

Tel: ++41 (0)21 692-3438 Fax: ++41 (0)21 692-3305 ___________________________________

Back to: Top of message | Previous page | Main SPSSX-L page