Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Wed, 10 Jan 2007 23:18:40 -0800
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   David L Cassell <davidlcassell@MSN.COM>
Subject:   Re: Missing Values and Outliers

vmamos@GMAIL.COM wrote: > >Missing Values issue: > >So far, there are no guidelines for how much missing data can be >tolerated for a >sample of any given size (Tabachnick & Fidell, 1996). >Is it correct to analyse the potentially meaningful influences of >missing values >only when the amount of missings exceeded 7%??? > >I have seen the scales (item by item) in my study and the % of missings >not exceeds 1,3 %. > > > >Outliers issue: > >I have notice several techniques to scan for outliers (steam-and-leaf; >zscores, >etc... >which strategy shoulf i use? Step-by-step.

That 7% is one of the made-up numbers that you see for rules of thumb. I would want to check the effect of missing values. Period. If you only have 1.3% missing values across your entire data set, then the effects may be negligible. But trying your analyses with PROC MI to get multiple imputation for your data can't hurt. And you can beat someone over the head with it at some point. :-)

As for outliers, it depends on what your data are like, and what you are trying to do with them. Univariate techniques may be useful, and they may be a big waste of time (at best.) So, what are you trying to do with your data that requires this work?

HTH, David -- David L. Cassell mathematical statistician Design Pathways 3115 NW Norwood Pl. Corvallis OR 97330

_________________________________________________________________ Type your favorite song. Get a customized station. Try MSN Radio powered by Pandora. http://radio.msn.com/?icid=T002MSN03A07001