Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Tue, 16 Jan 2007 18:43:33 +0100
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Martin Gregory <gregorym@T-ONLINE.DE>
Subject:   Re: detect dots as end of sentence
Comments:   To: sas-l@uga.edu

>> More general would be to use the regular expression that Emacs uses for >> end of sentence: >> >> [.?!][]\"')]*($| $|\t| )[ \t\n]* >> >> and use this instead of the \. in Alan's suggestion. >> >> -Martin >> > > Are you sure there are no typos in the above regex? > At a minimum, the second character class ought to be > > [\]"')]* > > instead, because otherwise it will end at the interior > right bracket instead of the one on the right.

Apart from removing the \\ that elisp requires, I copied it from the Emacs info node on regular expressions. Although I see now I should also have removed the \ before the double quote. If you break it down into pieces:

[.?!] period, question or exclamation mark followed by []"')]* any number of closing brackets or quotes

You can use a literal ] in a list without escaping if it's the first character in the list.

-Martin