Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 5)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 31 Jan 2007 13:33:44 +0530
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Ankur Shanker <ankur.shanker@EVALUESERVE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Random number generation

Hello Matthew/Howard/Ed/Tanwan/Dan/Lou!!

Thank you for your valuable replies.

I was able to re-order the observations with the help of the following code.

proc sql; create table randomclass as select * from sashelp.class order by ranuni(0); quit;

Regards,

Ankur Shanker

-----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Lou Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 7:39 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: Random number generation

"Ed Heaton" <EdHeaton@WESTAT.COM> wrote in message news:403593359CA56C4CAE1F8F4F00DCFE7D089FE648@MAILBE2.westat.com... > Ankur, > > A company I once worked for had to give back a considerable amount of > money to their client because I used ranUni(0) and therefore could not > duplicate my results! Beware of passing zero to any of the random > number generators!

Excellent point. I always ask (in writing) if the generated sequence should be reproducible, and do not proceed until I get a written reply that can become part of the program documentation.

The information in this e-mail is the property of Evalueserve and is confidential and privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken in reliance on it is prohibited and will be unlawful. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this message.