Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007)Back to main CICS-L pageJoin or leave CICS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Feb 2007 10:26:29 -0700
Sender:       CICS List <CICS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Rick Woods <Rick.Woods@AZDOA.GOV>
Subject:      Re: Long Live the Mainframe

Glenn,

All you say may be true, but all it takes is for the person making the decisions to be sold a bill of goods by the vendors. Then, it doesn't matter what the realities are. You're preaching to the choir; but mainframe environments continue to grow scarcer. - Rick

>>> "Schneck.Glenn" <Glenn.Schneck@SUNTRUST.COM> 2/21/2007 10:13 AM >>> OK, my 2 cents..........

In the past 15 years I have heard about the mainframe 'going away' yet it is still here and stronger then ever. At SHARE last week there were many stories about z/Linux taking hold and how to SOA Enable the mainframe. As for the people issue, IBM is attempting to bridge the gap with the academic initiative, and as with anything new, it is going to take time. The zNextgen project at SHARE is doing their part with introduction sessions for those who can attend.

If you look at the enhancements of CICS and the use of specialty processors the TOC of the mainframe is much CHEAPER then the alternatives. Especially when you figure in all the other costs of space, energy, cooling and people to support.............

I always get a kick out of statements like, 'our server is just like a mainframe'. If you want a mainframe then use the mainframe. IMHO what really needs to be done is that the vendors have to get their heads out of their AIX and start writing for it again!!

MicroFocus Server Express??? All I can say is that you must not have a large system they are 'replacing' because I really don't see how they can do that.

So, with that said, I am not concerned about the final 15 years of my career, there will always be CICS and there will always be the mainframe!!!

Getting off the soap box now.............

Glenn

Glenn A. Schneck AVP, Tech Team Lead, CICS/MQSeries Mainframe Services, Online Systems Services SunTrust Banks, Inc. 407-762-3514 (office) 407-625-2596 (cell) glenn.schneck@suntrust.com

________________________________

From: CICS List [mailto:CICS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of lee dawn Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 11:53 AM To: CICS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: Long Live the Mainframe

ahhh, the best laid plans ......

I recently received an email from an old customer of mine that had a 5year plan back in 2002, they just re-targeted" for 2012 ,,

Good luck with your conversion at ND...

"Jangula, Duane A." <djangula@ND.GOV> wrote:

I saw all the posting on ''long live the mainframe''. I thought I would comment on this. As you may have seen in prior postings, ND is slowly but surely doing away with the m/f. We have hired a contractor to migrate all app's to a Linux Suse platform. We plan to be off within the next two years. We have scheduled this migration in four phases. Phase 1 will be completed by end of April. Phase 2 following in 3-4 months. Phase 3 and 4 are more difficult and so will take more months for each phase then the first two.

Software to be used:

Microfocus Server Express products - this product(s) will make the linux processes look somewhat like the m/f. You have a jes spool, input/output q's, console log, and many other goodies somewhat like the m/f. The product has the JES feature along with a CICS feature. Its somewhat amazing just how similar this product makes the environment look like a m/f. The product has a web based frontend.

Security is not near as good, but they are working on improvements. They have a Racf like component were told, but is not quite ready yet. From what I can see, Security will be a sore spot on the linux side.

Software Ag products: Because we have natural/adabas shop, those products on the linux box run basically the same as they do on the m/f.

Oracle/Db2 products: There are client products that have to be installed on Linux to talk to data bases residing on their respective servers. So far these two areas have a gray look to them, but they are workable. The oracle install is somewhat or maybe I should say very difficult (to be truthful).

There are several other products involved, but I don't know enough about them to make any kind of opinion.

Conclusion:

I have worked on the m/f for the last 33 years. But now for the last year or so am working on the m/f and linux platform.

One thing that I have noticed is that you have more control on the m/f then you do on a linux box. The scripts on the linux box execute with a limited amount of intervention by the installer. This may sound good, but from the products that we have for migration, it does not work very well.

Our management is determined to get us off the m/f. Whether it will be cheaper to operate the shop, time will tell. But as most of you know, managers are becoming younger and for the most part have little or no knowledge of the m/f. And so all they know is what runs on a windows/linux box.

Duane Jangula

Information Technology Dept. State of North Dakota

djangula@nd.gov

Finding fabulous fares is fun. Let Yahoo! FareChase search your favorite travel sites <http://farechase.yahoo.com/promo-generic-14795097;_ylc=X3oDMTFtNW45amVp

BF9TAzk3NDA3NTg5BF9zAzI3MTk0ODEEcG9zAzEEc2VjA21haWx0YWdsaW5lBHNsawNxMS0w Nw--> to find flight and hotel bargains.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER The information transmitted is intended solely for the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email in error please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.

SunTrust and Seeing beyond money are federally registered service marks of SunTrust Banks, Inc. [ST:XCL]