Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Feb 2007 22:43:19 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Alan Churchill <SASL001@SAVIAN.NET>
Subject:      Re: DDE file open is very slow

'put' should be 'push'

Alan Churchill Savian "Bridging SAS and Microsoft Technologies" www.savian.net

-----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Alan Churchill Sent: Monday, February 12, 2007 10:14 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: DDE file open is very slow

David,

Whenever you work with DDE, you are at the mercy of COM and all of its problems and weirdness. VBA is deprecated as I have stated several times, and shouldn't be used.

I am finalizing my paper on How to Generate 10,000 Excel Spreadsheets in 10 minutes (or less) for SGF. It provides a better solution to SAS to Excel interaction that I hope will help people out of binds similar to what you discovered. It relies on pull technology versus put and is super-fast and should be error-free. It also doesn't require SAS or Excel to be installed on the machine to operate.

Alan

Alan Churchill Savian "Bridging SAS and Microsoft Technologies" www.savian.net

-----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Johnson, David Sent: Monday, February 12, 2007 9:21 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: DDE file open is very slow

This may serve as a cautionary tale for others, so I'll provide an update.

When you ask a nearly right question of Google you get answers that lead you to the right questions. How often do we find that asking the right questions is key to our work???

Where OpenGL isn't native on graphics cards, there is an emulator built in. This makes it available on most Windows machines. As an open source graphics language, it is probably also the choice of many for the creation of graphic objects including screen savers. However, cautionary tales on the web indicate it is a resource hog.

While SAS seems to be able to wrest back CPU from OpenGL, not all applications can, and VBA seems to be especially vulnerable to being starved of processing capacity. So VBA apps may, and often do stall.

DDE has the same vulnerability because of shared parentage. So, it is likely some DDE commands will not execute on machines where an OpenGL screensaver is active.

Cause probably found, solution still outstanding...

Kind regards

David

-----Original Message----- From: Johnson, David Sent: Tuesday, 13 February 2007 11:57 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: DDE file open is very slow

After running batch jobs for more than six months which opened, created, updated and saved Excel files with DDE, I have never seen this issue before.

A batch run last night, the first time on this Windows desktop machine, started Excel, saved some data and closed the Excel file.

Unfortunately, the Excel start-up took 5hrs 38 minutes, which was the time between the SAS code file starting and my unlocking the screen saver.

On opening the desktop, there were no dialog boxes seen except for the SAS batch windows and process crawlers.

Excel is started minimised, and I didn't see anything untoward from that application.

There is only one Excel instance, so it isn't a personal.xls conflict.

The default book on opening is book1, and this doesn't exist.

The data disk is local, so it isn't prima facie a transient network issue at 5am today.

The startup command and data step has been run repeatedly over the last few weeks in an interactive session, and usually Excel startup is virtually immediate.

The screensaver was operational, but I was still logged in.

Has anyone else had this problem and perhaps noticed any other symptoms?

I shall run some Mickey Mouse batches today and try to replicate the problem, but I don't hold out any great hope. Any other experiences should help narrow the suspects.

Kind regards

David

************** IMPORTANT MESSAGE ***************************** This e-mail message is intended only for the addressee(s) and contains information which may be confidential. If you are not the intended recipient please advise the sender by return email, do not use or disclose the contents, and delete the message and any attachments from your system. Unless specifically indicated, this email does not constitute formal advice or commitment by the sender or the Commonwealth Bank of Australia (ABN 48 123 123 124) or its subsidiaries. We can be contacted through our web site: commbank.com.au. If you no longer wish to receive commercial electronic messages from us, please reply to this e-mail by typing Unsubscribe in the subject line. **************************************************************