Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2007)Back to main GABO-L pageJoin or leave GABO-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Mar 2007 11:17:41 -0400
Sender:       Georgia Birders Online <GABO-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Swillis <Swillis@WAYXCABLE.COM>
Subject:      South Georgia latest & signs of spring

Hey folks,

Hope you are fine.

Here are the latest happenings in South Georgia since 3/1. All sightings are by me at my home in Waycross, Ware Co. unless otherwise noted.

Signs of spring (Ware Co.): BLUE JAY: visiting as a pair regularly this month CAROLINA CHICKADEE: 3/12 a pair seen visiting an Eastern Bluebird box at Laura S. Walker State Park s. of Waycross CAROLINA WREN: 3/13 a pair entered my garage thru a hole in a window in the early morning & started building a nest on the top ledge of my garage door. This would be destroyed when the door opened, so I removed the partial nest & kept the door open to discourage further attempts. When I went outside later in the afternoon, they fussed at me! Sorry guys. BROWN THRASHER: 3/8 birds continue as a pair PINE WARBLER: 3/12 (1) repeated trilling at Laura S. Walker State Park s. of Waycross WHITE-THROATED SPARROW: 3/7 (1) having the yellow lores as now a very bright color NORTHERN CARDINAL: 3/5 (2) males countersinging strongly at the very tops of opposing trees AMERICAN GOLDFINCH: 3/12 (2) showing more yellow

Other sightings (Waycross, Ware Co.): SONG SPARROW: 3/8 & 3/12 (1) a first for my backyard HOUSE FINCH: 3/7 & 3/11 male (1) visiting my backyard again; thought I heard a song 3/13

Other sightings (Charlton Co. near Folkston): WILD TURKEY: 3/7 (8) feeding in a field along GA Hwy #121 (Woodpecker Trail) just northeast of Stanley Branch; a regular place AMERICAN KESTREL: 3/7 (3) scattered along Spanish Creek Rd LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE: 3/7 (1) opposite new clearcut along GA Hwy #121 (Woodpecker Trail) just southeast of Co. 40 & north of the entrance road to the Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge.

Take care.

Sincerely, Sheila Willis Native American-Naturalist Talks & Tours Waycross, Ware Co., GA