Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2007)Back to main SHOREBIRDS pageJoin or leave SHOREBIRDS (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Fri, 23 Mar 2007 05:19:10 -0700
Sender:   Shorebird Discussion Group <SHOREBIRDS@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Robert Wallace <chnuts@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:   International Shorebird Surveys
Comments:   To: 2Birdbrains <brdbrain@listserv.admin.usf.edu>, 2FlaBirding <Flabirding@yahoogroups.com>

For anyone interested, please contact Brian Harrington at the below address:

International Shorebird Surveys

Volunteers for informed conservation programs

March 2007

Dear ISS cooperator,

Attached is our 2007 International Shorebird Survey newsletter. We are sending forms and instructions in a second email. We hope you will be able to participate by contributing counts of shorebirds to the project and/or by referring our project information to folks (who can identify shorebirds) you know.

Since its inception in 1974, the International Shorebird Survey (ISS) program has greatly improved our understanding of shorebird migration requirements. Thanks to cooperators like you, ISS data are used nationally and regionally in management and conservation initiatives. During the last year we provided information for conservation decision-making to the Western Hemisphere Shorebird Reserve Network on many occasions, as well as to state and federal wildlife agencies.

Information gathered by ISS cooperators over the last 30 years show some disturbing trends. The data have long indicated that several shorebird species were declining rapidly, but until recently the design of the ISS did not allow for sensitive statistical analysis of this. A new initiative called the Program for Regional and International Shorebird Monitoring (PRISM) is underway to coordinate and expand on existing shorebird survey efforts including the ISS, the Western Shorebird Survey and the Canadian Maritimes Shorebird Survey. The closer coordination and expanded effort will increase power of statistical analyses and help to more clearly define shorebird conservation issues on a continental scale. There is more discussion of this in our annual newsletter.

Thanks for helping to build the outstanding resource we now have with the ISS. Enjoy your shorebirding in the coming migrations!

Brian Harrington

Manomet Center for Conservation Sciences

PO Box 1770, 81 Stage Pt Rd

Manomet, MA 02345

NEW Email ADDRESS: bharrington@manomet.org

tel 508/224-6521, fax 224-9220