Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Apr 2007 16:06:26 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Gene Maguin <emaguin@buffalo.edu>
Subject:      Re: Syntax for Proper Case instead of all Caps

Meijr,

As far as I know there is no function such as upcase that converts a text value to proper case. However, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a programmibility routine lurking on the spss website to do this. Perhaps the programmibility guy from spss can comment. Another good place to look is the data management and programming book/pdf published by Ray Levesque and also available on the spss website (and referenced in your spss installation directory if the right things were installed). That said, I'll assume that you have a variable containing a single value rather than a string containing several values (It's not clear from your message which might be true). That is, 'PROPER' rather than 'PROPER CASE VALUE'. Let your variable be v1 with length len.

Compute v1=concat(substr(v1,1,1),lower(substr(v1,2,len))).

Gene Maguin