Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Apr 2007 13:21:52 -0700
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         meljr <meljrmailbox-2dognight@yahoo.com>
Subject:      Re: anything like LIKE in SPSS?

Tanya, if both the RN and the TSR have a unique set of complaint descriptions, I would pick one and set up the other to match it. Example of assigning values of TSR to RN: if (Complaint = "SPRAINS-JOINT INJURY & BROKEN BONES") Complaint = "SPRAINS/JOINT INJURY/BROKEN BONES".

I would not usually do this by hand unless I only have a few descriptions. What I would do is put the matching columns in an Excel spreadsheet and write the syntax arount them. Then I copy it into the SPSS syntax. If you use Excel, you will have to play around with it a bit to get it right.

Good luck! meljr

Tanya Temkin wrote: > > Hi to all, > > I need advice on how to deal with identifying "duplicate" values when > strings are very close but not identical. A good wildcard function would > be helpful but don't know of any. > > This is a mockup of my data (much simplified) that logs calls regarding > patient complaints: > > Pt_No calldate SnP Complaint > 1 12/07/04 TSR SPRAINS-JOINT INJURY & BROKEN BONES > 1 12/07/04 RN SPRAINS/JOINT INJURY/BROKEN BONES > 1 12/12/04 TSR COUGH/COLD > 2 3/05/05 TSR HEAD INJURY > 2 3/05/05 RN HEAD INJURY/TRAUMA > 2 3/12/05 TSR DIAGNOSTIC TEST:RESULTS > 2 3/12/05 RN DIAGNOSTIC TEST: RESULTS > 2 9/01/05 TSR CAST PROBLEMS > 3 7/28/04 TSR DIZZY/VERTIGO/FAINTING > 3 7/28/04 RN DIZZINESS/VERTIGO/SYNCOPE > > Sometimes a teleservice representative (TSR) handles the call on her own; > often she transfers it to a registered nurse (RN). The patient may talk to > the TSR and RN about the same problem. However, as you can see, the text > strings the TSRs and RNs use to document the same patient complaint may > differ - extra spaces, slightly different wording or punctuation.... > > So much for my plans to use the LAG function to flag TSR and RN handling > of the same complaint on the same call! > > I've looked at past postings on use of INDEX and SCAN but I'm not sure > that's what I need here... my SAS-using colleagues tell me that SAS has a > LIKE function that can identify similar words or phrases in different > string values. That sounds like what I need. Is there anything like this > in SPSS? > > Oh yes, I'm using V 14. Only base system. > > > Thanks in advance. > > Tanya Temkin > Research Associate > AACC Reporting > Northern California Regional Office > The Permanente Medical Group > (510) 625-6680 > TIE 8-428-6680 > > NOTICE TO RECIPIENT: If you are not the intended recipient of this > e-mail, you are prohibited from sharing, copying, or otherwise using or > disclosing its contents. If you have received this e-mail in error, > please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and permanently > delete this e-mail and any attachments without reading, forwarding or > saving them. Thank you. > >