Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Apr 2007 18:58:32 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Richard Ristow <wrristow@mindspring.com>
Subject:      "Active" dataset
Comments: To: "Oliver, Richard" <roliver@spss.com>
Comments: cc: "Poggio, John C" <jpoggio@ku.edu>,
          "Marks, Jim" <Jim.Marks@LODGENET.COM>

This continues a thread started under heading "version 15.0.1 bug?". Richard, thank you!

At 12:06 AM 4/1/2007, Oliver, Richard wrote:

>If you use command syntax to create [a] merged dataset, and then use >the menus and dialogs to perform subsequent actions, there is an >inconsistency in what [SPSS] thinks is the active dataset. To >illustrate: > >[variables 'id', 'var1'] >dataset name one. >[variables 'id', 'var2'] >dataset name two. >match files file=one /file=two /by id. >dataset name merged. >dataset activate merged. >frequencies var=all. > >You would expect this to produce frequency tables for three variables: >id, var1, and var2 -- and that's exactly what it does in syntax. But >to the menus and dialogs, the "active" dataset is still dataset one.

Thank you. I don't know whether I can get away with calling this a 'bug', but it's a pretty severe 'glitch'. (A 'bug' is a deviation of the program from its specification. A 'glitch' is a deviation from what the specifications ought to have been.)

It seems obvious that the 'current' dataset, the one that shows up as primary in the menus, should be the active dataset. Could this be put on the list, as a deficiency to be fixed?

I did write 'obvious' deliberately. "'Obvious' is almost synonymous with 'inadequately examined.'" Perhaps there's a considered reason why the 'current' dataset is not always the active dataset. But if so, could the philosophy of how the 'current' dataset is determined, be given in the documentation?

-With many thanks, Richard