Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 Apr 2007 21:54:56 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         David L Cassell <davidlcassell@MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: PROC TRANSPOSE, reorg data

tobydunn@HOTMAIL.COM replied: >David , > >I see our own David Cassell hasnt seen this thread probably due to the fact >that he is cleaning his crystal ball again so I will step in knowing full >well I will get plenty of nay sayer emails chastizing me about my advice on >this but here it goes. > > >Dont molest your data set in this manner. What you will end up with is a >very short but very wide data set. Which is bad for processing speed and >bad for coding. Basically you will be holding information which should be >in your data set as a variables value in you variable names. This just >makes the job of doing any type of codeing which is data driven and/or >maintainable to any reasonable degree impossible. > >Now I would change your data structure but not in the way that you have >asked but rather in the opposite direction and make it longer and thinner. >Since I have no clue what V1 V2 V3 actually are in your data set I will >have >to use generic names. Ideally you would want to make these names >meaningfull. > > >zipcode store_id Num V >00001 1 1 A >00001 1 2 B >00001 1 3 C >00001 2 1 A >00001 2 2 B >00001 2 3 C > > > > > > >Toby Dunn

I predicted that he'd say that, so I just didn't need to write in. :-)

Let me add that requests to have this sort of display in output can often be solved using PROC REPORT or PROC TABULATE to do your heavy lifting.

HTH, David -- David L. Cassell mathematical statistician Design Pathways 3115 NW Norwood Pl. Corvallis OR 97330

_________________________________________________________________ MSN is giving away a trip to Vegas to see Elton John. Enter to win today. http://msnconcertcontest.com?icid-nceltontagline