Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007)Back to main GABO-L pageJoin or leave GABO-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 28 May 2007 10:31:33 -0400
Sender:       Georgia Birders Online <GABO-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Joshua Spence <spencejoshua@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Blue-winged Warbler/American Kestrel - Murray County

I took a little time this morning to check a location in the Coosawattee WMA where I had a Blue-winged Warbler on territory last year. This is off of Henry Gallman Rd. I found one singing male around 9AM. I followed it for about twenty minutes and got several great looks at the bird. The habitat here is a little more open than the area off of Cagle Rd. This enabled me to walk through the regenerating clearcut without getting too many scratches from the briars. I also checked other parts of this clearcut with no Blue-wings found. There is a clearcut north of this one that I checked but it didn't look tall enough for Blue-wings, maybe in the next few years it might be suitable. There were four Northern Flickers atop a dead snag that put on a great show. All perched within inches of each other and swayed back and forth with there bill pointing straight up. This is probably courtship behavior. At first I thought these might be some offspring but all were adults and it seems a little early for young-of-the- year birds to be at that stage plumage-wise. It didn't seem to be a territorial dispute.

I also drove down Fagala Rd to check for the Dickcissels and there were none. I think the mowing that took place last year and the grazing cattle has discouraged their return.

I did see a female American Kestrel perched on a wire. This is the second time I've observed one at this location over the last week. Other than this the only other highlight was a singing House Wren by the roadside.

Joshua Spence, Murray County