Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (May 2007)Back to main GABO-L pageJoin or leave GABO-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 May 2007 09:15:23 -0400
Sender:       Georgia Birders Online <GABO-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Carol Lambert <CLambert@CCWA1.COM>
Subject:      AAS Huie field trip Sat.--road closed

Malcolm Hodges will lead an Atlanta Audubon field trip to the Huie sites (Clayton Co.) this Saturday, meeting at 8am at the Wetlands Center. Conditions are good on the ponds for shorebirds and wading birds, and a good number of shorebirds have been there this week.There are summer migrants in the wetlands, including both tanagers, cuckoos, vireos, waterthrush, etc. These trips are open to all levels of expertise and Malcolm is a wonderful Nature Conservancy naturalist, on many levels.

A note to all birders coming to this site... the Wetlands Center has a policy prohibiting the use of owl calls or mechanical sound devices to attract birds during the months of May-August. We feel that these methods harass nesting and young birds. The use of these methods should also be limited and only used briefly, if necessary, at any sites during other months. For newer birders, remember that owls and hawks nest very early in the year, and are very protective of their offspring for many months. It is UNWISE, as well as unethical, to play tapes that indicate an intruder in their territory. For more information about birding ethics, check the website of the American Birding Association http://www.americanbirding.org/abaethics.htm.

For more information on field trips to this site, check the following webistes: www.ccwa.us (Wetlands Center) or www.atlantaaudubon.org

For any of you who normally come in on Jonesboro/McDonough Rd. from I-75 (exit 221), Jonesboro Rd. will be closed this weekend from Friday night until Monday morning for construction. Following is the next best way to get here if you're not coming in from the north on Tara Blvd (exit 235). DIRECTIONS TO NWC FROM I-75 VIA HUDSON BRIDGE ROAD

I-75 to exit 224 Hudson Bridge Rd./Eagles Landing Pkwy. Turn west onto Hudson Bridge Rd. until it ends, then right onto Jodeco Rd. The next traffic light is Noah's Ark Rd., where you turn left and follow this about 4 miles to Dixon Industrial Blvd. (between the Water Tank and the Shell Gas Station) and turn left. This will take you past the Huie ponds on the right. Then turn left onto Freeman Rd. and the Wetlands Center will be 2 miles down the road on the right. Coming from Athens, take I-285 south or west, then I-675 to its end, which will lead you onto I-75 a couple miles north of exit 224.

Carol Lambert Senior Conservationist Newman Wetlands Center, Clayton County Water Authority 2755 Freeman Road, Hampton, GA 30228 770-603-5603 office clambert@ccwa1.com