Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007)Back to main GABO-L pageJoin or leave GABO-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 May 2007 19:47:23 -0400
Sender:       Georgia Birders Online <GABO-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Earl Horn <budhorn@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: Spalding Co: Z-T Hawk, Dickcs, Lincoln Sp, Warblers, etc
Comments: To: Eric Beohm <eric.beohm343@YAHOO.COM>

WOW! That's absolutely incredible that out of the only 200-300 nesting pairs from the far southwest one of them would end up flying over Georgia. I would hope that a discovery that significant would be well documented and written up for both the Oriole and Birding Magazine. There are birders all over the country that would be interested in such a spectacular find.

Best regards,

Earl Horn Lawrenceville, Ga

-----Original Message----- From: Georgia Birders Online [mailto:GABO-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Eric Beohm Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2007 10:32 PM To: GABO-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: [GABO-L] Spalding Co: Z-T Hawk, Dickcs, Lincoln Sp, Warblers, etc

Highlights:

Lincoln's Sparrow (1) Dickcissel (2 heard) Warblers (18 to 20 species) Bank Swallow (1) Sedge Wren (1) Gray-cheeked Thrush (1)

Nashville Warbler Swainson's Warbler Blue-winged Warbler Orange-crowned Warbler Northern Parula Yellow Warbler Cape May Warbler Black-throated Blue Warbler Yellow-rumped Warbler Pine Warbler Prairie Warbler Palm Warbler Blackpoll Warbler Northern Waterthrush Louisiana Waterthrush Common Yellowthroat Hooded Warbler Yellow-breasted Chat Probable Worm-eating Warbler Probable Kentucky Warbler

White-eyed Eastern Towhee Grasshopper Sparrow Bobolink (about 100) Common Nighthawk Wild Turkey Cooper's Hawk Greater Yellowlegs Lesser Yellowlegs Solitary Sandpiper Spotted Sandpiper Semipalmated Sandpiper Least Sandpiper Eurasian Collared-dove Yellow-billed Cuckoo Barred Owl (perched in yard) Swainson's Thrush Wood Thrush Summer Tanager Scarlet Tanager Orchard Oriole (surprisingly no Baltimores)

I see Fox Squirrels regularly, but I was glad to get a decent photo of one at long last.

The reason I took off work was because Monday around 6pm I saw an apparent ZONE-TAILED HAWK near my house in with Turkey Vultures. There is a dump nearby that Turkey and Black Vultures go to in mass to roost. The Zone-tailed looked very similar to the Turkey Vultures in shape, flight, and wing position. However, it was noticeably smaller than the two Turkey Vultures soaring beside it. It was darker, even in good light appearing black. The hawk was black except for the gray regimes and some white in the tail and the yellow feet. It had a black feathered head and hawk-shaped bill. Despite being very similar in shape and habit to Turkey Vulture, it had a cleaner cut appearance to the wings and tail. I can give more details later; perhaps on my website:

http://eaglecreek4.tripod.com/georgiabirdingandnature/

I watched it for about a minute as I pulled off the side of the road with my binoculars and managed to get out of my car as it circled nearby over a wooded area with a creek. It disappeared behind the trees. I spent about an hour looking for it today to no avail.

This is the first ZONE-TAILED HAWK I've seen in the eastern United States. I've considered them a remote possibility and have kept my eyes open for them for many years, though I figured fall would be the more likely time. This approximate area in Spalding County has been very good for raptors. Over the years here I've found Swainson's Hawks, Golden Eagles, Mississippi and Swallow-tailed Kites, as well as falcons and such.

Area: DeLorme 33 A10 Vicinity of Bailey Jester, Bucksnort, and Barnesville Road which are just south of Hwy 16.

Good Birding!

Eric Beohm Griffin, GA

--------------------------------- Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell? Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.