Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 May 2007 12:03:51 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Pardee, Roy" <pardee.r@GHC.ORG>
Subject:      Macro arithmetic problem with %eval() & %sysevalf()

Hey All,

I've got a program in which I want to programmatically set the number of OUTOBS in proc sql, based on two macro variables. But I'm getting unexpected errors--in particular on the code below I get the message "ERROR: A character operand was found in the %EVAL function or %IF condition where a numeric operand is required. The condition was: 10 + 2.5".

Here's a little sample that demonstrates the problem:

* =========================== ; %macro test(NumNetwork = 10) ; %let dead_margin = .25 ; proc sql ; reset outobs = %eval(&NumNetwork + %sysevalf(&NumNetwork * &dead_margin)) nowarn ; quit ; %mend ;

options mprint ;

I've tried every combination of %eval() & %sysevalf() in there, but have not been able to get this to work. Do I really have to go through a datastep to do this calculation? I don't understand that error message in particular.

Many thanks in advance!

-Roy

Roy Pardee Research Analyst/Programmer Group Health Center For Health Studies (Cancer Research Network) (206) 287-2078 Google Talk: rpardee