Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 May 2007 17:35:19 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Comments:     RFC822 error: <W> MESSAGE-ID field duplicated. Last occurrence
              was retained.
From:         Don Henderson <donaldjhenderson@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 'Local' datasets in Macro?

You are making far too many assumptions.

Frankly, adopting a standard of creating a temp directory under WORK is, IMO, a pretty bad idea. While there may be occasions where it is an appropriate solution (my motto is to rarely say never or always), it is not something I would want to encourage as a good idea or best practice.

There are too many possible gotchas here. And that is not even factoring in the issue of support for multiple environments.

For example, what if the macro abends (e.g., runs out of space) and does not delete the subdirectory? That leaves remnant work libraries. The IT folks love to use that as a reason to bash SAS - that is eats space and does not clean up after itself.

And so on, and so on. . . . . .

To each his own, I guess.

Regards, donh