Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 May 2007 17:58:21 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Nordlund, Dan (DSHS/RDA)" <NordlDJ@DSHS.WA.GOV>
Subject:      Re: How to keep sas skill from going rusty?
Comments: To: Kitty Lee <lee.kitty@YAHOO.COM>

> -----Original Message----- > From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On > Behalf Of Kitty Lee > Sent: Monday, May 21, 2007 5:24 PM > To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > Subject: How to keep sas skill from going rusty? > > Because of the requirement of some of my recent projects, I > have moved away > from SAS to R for almost nine months. Now I have to start > programming SAS > again....I found myself making many mistakes + forgetting > many syntax. It > will take me some time to pick up SAS again. Just wonder > whether you have > any good advice on how to keep sas skill from going rusty? > (Say you go on > vacation for 1/2 year?) Esp. those who work with different > programs---how to > keep the syntax stored in diff part of a brain and not get mixed up? > > K. >

Kitty,

I think one of the best ways you can keep from getting rusty is to read SAS-L on a daily basis and answer the questions that people ask. Even if you never post an answer to the list, the process of solving other peoples problems will help hone your skills. And if you don't have access to SAS from work, the cost of acquiring the learning edition of SAS is not a bad career investment.

As far as using a number of different programs, it shouldn't be any more difficult to keep statistical languages separate in your mind than it is to keep, say French or German or Swedish separate. It just takes regular use.

Hope this is helpful,

Dan

Daniel J. Nordlund Research and Data Analysis Washington State Department of Social and Health Services Olympia, WA 98504-5204