Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 24 Jun 2007 16:06:29 -0300
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Hector Maletta <hmaletta@fibertel.com.ar>
Subject:      Re: recoding a second missing value
Comments: To: Govind Acharya <ga47@cornell.edu>

You have to recode only the system missing values. For that, use the syntax window to write the following command:

RECODE varname (SYSMIS=8).

That would do the trick, I expect, leaving the 9s untouched.

Another approach is temporarily designating the 9 as a valid value, then do as you did before (only system-missing values would be recoded), then restate the 9 (and the 8) as missing values.

Hector

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Govind Acharya Sent: 24 June 2007 15:39 To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: recoding a second missing value

Hi all,

I have a very large data file (915 variables, 17,000 cases) and our client wants the following: if it is truly missing, we have a 9. But, our software that reads the forms rendered a second missing data that I want coded as an 8 as a blank. That's fine, but now I am stuck with having to recode all of the blanks into an 8. When I use the "Recode into Same Variable" and use the option "System or User Missing" as the Old Value and enter the value of 8, it changes the blanks *and* the 9 to an 8. That's not good! So, is there a way to do this using a script or drop down that can allow me to recode blank values as an 8 but preserve the 9 as it is? I suppose I could change the 9 to nonmissing and then make the 8 missing, then recode the blanks as an 8, but I frankly don't know how to do that in a script.

Thanks so much for any help you can provide!

Govind

-- - Govind Acharya Assistant Director/Senior Research Associate Survey Research Institute, Cornell University 391 Pine Tree Rd. Ithaca, NY 14850 phone: (607) 255-0375; fax: (607) 255-7118 http://www.sri.cornell.edu