Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Mon, 9 Jul 2007 11:39:27 -0600
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Alan Churchill <savian001@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:   Re: SAS dataset on Unix challenge
Comments:   To: "Duell, Bob" <BD9439@att.com>

SAS is running on Unix and they do have Share. However, when I tried to use the SAS/Share provider with OleDb, I got an extremely cryptic OleDb error that had no references on the web and no hit inside of SAS Tech Support. Hence, I am playing around with new ideas.

Alan

Alan Churchill Savian "Bridging SAS and Microsoft Technologies" www.savian.net

-----Original Message----- From: Duell, Bob [mailto:BD9439@att.com] Sent: Monday, July 09, 2007 11:20 AM To: Alan Churchill; SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: RE: SAS dataset on Unix challenge

If you don't have SAS running anywhere at all, I don't have a clue. But if you have SAS on the UNIX side, you can run a SAS/SHARE server to expose libraries to the network and use the SAS-supplied ODBC driver and/or OLE DB data provider to do things list like.

The cool thing about this (to me) is creating SAS/Access views to other databases (with my database credentials) for cheap reporting.

-----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Alan Churchill Sent: Monday, July 09, 2007 8:27 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: SAS dataset on Unix challenge

Guys,

I need some suggestions. Here is the scenario:

I have a single SAS dataset on a Unix machine. No Samba installed on this machine and I have been told no for getting it installed.

I have a .NET application on a Windows Server 2003. The .NET app needs to read in the SAS dataset. I have been told that we cannot use Windows NFS either.

How do I get to this dataset? Someone suggested using ODBC with an IP address but I have never seen that done before. Integration Technologies is not available and the SAS local provider needs a physical mapping to read it in via OleDb.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Alan

Alan Churchill Savian "Bridging SAS and Microsoft Technologies" <http://www.savian.net/> www.savian.net