Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Jul 2007 14:34:07 -0600
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Alan Churchill <savian001@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: SAS dataset on Unix challenge
Comments: To: "Pardee, Roy" <pardee.r@ghc.org>

They wanted it real-time.

WebDAV / FTP will be a possible backup option. I prefer WebDAV since it is over port 80 and is much more secure than FTP.

Alan

Alan Churchill Savian "Bridging SAS and Microsoft Technologies" www.savian.net

-----Original Message----- From: Pardee, Roy [mailto:pardee.r@ghc.org] Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2007 2:25 PM To: Alan Churchill; SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: RE: Re: SAS dataset on Unix challenge

I'm coming into this late, but--if the dset isn't too big, could you FTP it to someplace more accessible to your windows app maybe?

-----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Alan Churchill Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2007 1:10 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: SAS dataset on Unix challenge

David,

This is a no go as far as I can tell. While you can update the hosts file, there is no place (that I can find) in the ODBC Administrator to specify that string.

SAS is looking at the Share error I received to see if they can decipher it. The Share error I got, BTW, was:

"A server error has occurred: TCP method failed rc = -10 (The requested name is valid bud does not have an IP Address.).; fn =SASUPSQLPassthru::Connect; context =YHRELSCE was returned."

I tried a lot of combinations in the connection string to no avail. I'll wait for SAS to get back on this one.

Alan

Alan Churchill Savian "Bridging SAS and Microsoft Technologies" www.savian.net

-----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of David Johnson Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2007 2:26 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: SAS dataset on Unix challenge

Lots of suggestions Alan, and perhaps you have seen the issue resolved. If not, can you update your hosts file with a name for the ip address and then go through the ODBC administrator?

I don't have access to ODBC on this licence so I can't check it, but at first thought it seems possible to me.

Kind regards

David

-----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf Of Alan Churchill Sent: Tuesday, 10 July 2007 1:27 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: SAS dataset on Unix challenge

Guys,

I need some suggestions. Here is the scenario:

I have a single SAS dataset on a Unix machine. No Samba installed on this machine and I have been told no for getting it installed.

I have a .NET application on a Windows Server 2003. The .NET app needs to read in the SAS dataset. I have been told that we cannot use Windows NFS either.

How do I get to this dataset? Someone suggested using ODBC with an IP address but I have never seen that done before. Integration Technologies is not available and the SAS local provider needs a physical mapping to read it in via OleDb.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Alan

Alan Churchill Savian "Bridging SAS and Microsoft Technologies" <http://www.savian.net/> www.savian.net