Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Fri, 27 Jul 2007 17:09:16 -0000
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   hoxiea <hoxiea@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:   macro variable based on do loop control variable
Comments:   To: sas-l@uga.edu

Hello, everyone! Just a quick question for you all on macro variables; I appreciate your assistance and thank you in advance for your help.

Working inside of a macro, I'd like to process some data sets using a do loop. I'd also like to have a variable within the do loop that's based on the value of the control variable. Specifically, I'd like the loop control variable to run from 1 to 11, and the inside variable to run from 2 to 12, each incrementing by 1 each time through the loop. In my mistaken brain, the code looks something like this:

%do i=1 %to 11; %let j=&i+1;

data both; merge code_per&i._replicates code_per&j._replicates;

However, the log file gives me an error, with the following message: NOTE: Line generated by the macro variable "J". 186 code_per1+1_replicates

How can I get SAS to read this as code_per2_replicates instead? Any thoughts? Thanks!

- Hoxie Ackerman

PS. I realize that this would seem to overwrite "both," which is something I'm not concerned about; I run some procedures on "both" and collect the output using code not included in this message, then delete "both" before the next iteration.