Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Jul 2007 10:03:17 +1000
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         David Johnson <d@DKVJ.BIZ>
Subject:      Re: Invoking SAS from non SAS environment!

Then, unreservedly, I withdraw my criticism of their website rearrangement Alan. I thought sysinternals might have been another of their linked sites.

I'm afraid I'm still smarting from their move of the terrific API data in MSDN a couple of years ago. Not only did I lose the easy to understand subject hierarchy, but the website search either pointed to wrong pages some of the time or just didn't know the term I was searching on.

After Phil's suggestion pricked my curiosity I browsed some of the links in the page I reported and found documents by the developer and the full sysinternals pack. If that is the way they are going with their deliveries, then I look forward to a lot more of the same.

Kind regards

David

-----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf Of Alan Churchill Sent: Tuesday, 24 July 2007 9:34 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: Invoking SAS from non SAS environment!

David,

Sysinternals was recently acquired by Microsoft. The old links should not be applicable any longer.

Here is the new location for all Sysinternals.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/default.mspx

Alan

Alan Churchill Savian "Bridging SAS and Microsoft Technologies" www.savian.net

-----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of David Johnson Sent: Monday, July 23, 2007 5:29 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: Invoking SAS from non SAS environment!

Either the national version of the M$ website is different here, or M$ has done another of their "helpful" daily reorganisations of website content Phil.

That link comes up as changed, and after a site search I got the following suggestion.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/psexec.mspx

Kind regards

David

-----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf Of Phil Rack Sent: Tuesday, 24 July 2007 8:42 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: Invoking SAS from non SAS environment!

Also check out PSEXEC at sysinternals. Extremely powerful utility with boatloads of options.

Information about PsExec and downloads at: http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/PsExec.html

Phil Rack MineQuest, LLC SAS Consulting and Contract Programming Services

Web: www.MineQuest.com Tel: (614) 457-3714 Web Conference: SightSpeed -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Melvin Klassen Sent: Monday, July 23, 2007 6:18 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: Invoking SAS from non SAS environment!

> I have a situation at hand and would like to know if anybody has any suggestion. > There is a oracle database on a windows machine (say machine A) > on which a trigger is written to detect a change to a particular Oracle table. > This trigger is then expected to invoke a SAS program on another windows server (say machine B). > SAS is installed only on machine B and therefore cannot be executed directly from the machine A. > > However, I am facing problem in invoking a batchfile on another machine (machine B) > from a batch file on another machine (machine A). > > Can anybody help?

For Windows-to-Windows communication, use 'Netsh'. http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs /en-us/netsh.mspx

Quote:

If you specify -r followed by another command, netsh executes the command on the remote computer, and then returns to the Cmd.exe command prompt.

/Quote:

So, you can run a '.bat' file on the remote computer, and that file could invoke SAS.

... Melvin