Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 Jul 2007 09:53:48 +1000
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         David Johnson <d@DKVJ.BIZ>
Subject:      Re: Printing SAS programs in color

True Peter, I overlooked that, but the colour information doesn't preserve to the printer driver. Paul Oldenkamp's valuable contribution to the conversation was a Tech Supp note I hadn't seen and points out that the Versions 9 don't preserve the formatting through to the printer.

The desire to have a standard set of program structures in SAS is probably longer standing than my use of the software, and the solutions to document code with applications try to overcome some issues with program documentation. I applaud the solutions Alan and Jeff propose but neither seems to handle legacy code without conversion to the standards being imposed. However, SAS recognises all manner of comment blocks and it should be childishly simple to delete the non-green bits from a program ported to Word to take one some distance towards documenting legacy material.

Sure, the legacy material should have been documented long ago, but material gets lost over the years, or the last couple of hours is put into delivering functionality, and we may often have an important program that doesn't have a separate document. I also recognise that a lot of code may not be commented, even though I am from that school which likes to block out the program steps with comments before any functional statements are written.

Some clients have enforced program structure and documentation standards that will be at odds with the proposed and evolving solutions, so I don't see a generalised documentation solution being available in the near future. However, preservation of the RTF attributes of the enhanced editor to the printer might fill that gap and cover the remainder of the population who continue to follow their own procedures. One can only hope that whatever issue prevented delivering printing from the enhanced editor since SAS9 may be resolved in the near future.

Kind regards

David

-----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf Of Peter Sent: Monday, 23 July 2007 8:23 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: Printing SAS programs in color

On Jul 22, 1:46 pm, d...@dkvj.biz (David Johnson) wrote: > Thank you Mark, > > it was helpful to have an answer that looked outside the box, especially > since I didn't think most questions on SAS/L can be interpreted narrowly. > > I also seem to remember that in late V6 we could use the start-up config > option $RtfColor to preserve Rich Text Formatting from SCL and log entries > when we copied and pasted. I wonder if that is still functioning in the > enhanced editor? If not, I'd like to see that on the ballot if it may be > possible. I'd rather not be linking in other applications to bloat my hard > drive still further. > > Kind regards > > David > > > > -----Original Message----- > From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SA...@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf Of > > Audimar P. Bangi > Sent: Saturday, 21 July 2007 6:18 AM > To: SA...@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > Subject: Re: Printing SAS programs in color > > My understanding was that the original e-mail was asking if it can be done > inside SAS -- that is, inside the SAS Enhanced Editor. > > Audi > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Terjeson, Mark" <Mterje...@RUSSELL.COM> > To: <SA...@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> > Sent: Friday, July 20, 2007 4:12 PM > Subject: Re: Printing SAS programs in color > > >A number of other tools, such as SQL Server Manager and other tools that > > have editor windows or query windows, are capable of accepting > > the-pasting-of-your-code and printing in color. i.e. same trick you > > found but just mentioning that other tools support your trick as well. > > > Hope this is helpful. > > > Mark Terjeson > > Senior Programmer Analyst, IM&R > > Russell Investments- Hide quoted text - > > - Show quoted text -

> option $RtfColor to preserve Rich Text Formatting from SCL and old editor Does word

But it is not needed for enhanced editor, because that does include colour information in the clipboard

PeterC