Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 5)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Mon, 30 Jul 2007 18:22:29 -0400
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Comments:   RFC822 error: <W> MESSAGE-ID field duplicated. Last occurrence was retained.
From:   Don Henderson <donaldjhenderson@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:   Re: SAS as THIN client & THICK client

Randy,

Forgive me for being late to this thread, but am curious as to how you do this?

Since you have to launch SAS to invoke an AF application, the only way I see that this could work would by via something like (shudder) Citrix to display the windows locally. If that is the technique you would need a SAS Server license that allowed for that.

Can you please clarify how this works?

Regards, -donh

-----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Alan Churchill Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2007 10:54 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: SAS as THIN client & THICK client

Randy,

I stand corrected.

However, I can run a .NET client communicating with SAS for dataset reads with no SAS requirements. I think that is a big plus.

Alan

Alan Churchill Savian "Bridging SAS and Microsoft Technologies" www.savian.net

-----Original Message----- From: Randy Herbison [mailto:RandyHerbison@westat.com] Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2007 8:47 AM To: Alan Churchill; tenny kurian; SAS-L@listserv.uga.edu Subject: RE: SAS as THIN client & THICK client

SAS/AF does not require SAS to run on a desktop. It does require at least Base SAS, but Base SAS can run on a server while the SAS/AF GUI is displayed on a client.

-Randy

-----Original Message----- From: owner-sas-l@listserv.uga.edu [mailto:owner-sas-l@listserv.uga.edu] On Behalf Of Alan Churchill Sent: Monday, July 23, 2007 11:03 PM To: 'tenny kurian'; SAS-L@listserv.uga.edu Subject: RE: SAS as THIN client & THICK client

Yes, SAS supports thin and thick clients.

For thin clients, there are several choices as well as hybrids:

- SAS/IntrNet - SAS Integration Technologies with enabling technologies such as ASP.NET, RoR, Silverlight, etc. - SAS/IntrNet with the same enabling technologies

For thick clients:

- SAS/AF (I highly advise against it since it requires SAS to run on a desktop) - .NET, J2EE, etc. using the SAS OleDb driver for reading SAS datasets or with Integration Technologies for submitting SAS code.

If you want web stuff, read Don Henderson's book on SAS/IntrNet and the Application Dispatcher

I regularly build applications that do not rely on SAS on the desktop. You can build apps for the web, mobile, Windows, hybrids, web services, etc. with the right approach.

Alan

Alan Churchill Savian "Bridging SAS and Microsoft Technologies" www.savian.net

-----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of tenny kurian Sent: Monday, July 23, 2007 8:56 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: SAS as THIN client & THICK client

Hi,

i heard like some applications can be used as thin client and thick client... like we can access the application thru internet without installing the client software in our machine.

Is SAS supports something like this?

i really would like to know the details about this as well as working in SAS through internet...

Thanks in advance... Tenny,

--------------------------------- Download prohibited? No problem. CHAT from any browser, without download.