Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 5)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 31 Jul 2007 15:42:20 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Raghu Venkat <raghustays@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: India half of all non-US visits to Spectre (Clinical)
Comments: To: ben.powell@cla.co.uk

Ben,

I agree and thats the trend we are seeing now. The salary gap is getting thinner.

There are many reasons to this.

1. Indian companies have high attrition rate - many companies are finding it hard to retain talent. The culture there now is "if you dont give me a raise/promotion i will quit". My friends received 15% raise on a average last year. This is expected to go up this year with 10 percent projected growth in the country.

2. The cost of living is sky rocketing in major metros. A two bed room apartment costs anywhere between $200 - $250 to rent and about 50,000 - 100,000 USD to buy in most of the metros. We are taking about a 1000 sqft aparment.

3. The real cost savings are seen only at the entry-level jobs ( that earns anywhere between $200 - $250 a month ). Majority of the entry-levels quit for either higher education/find other jobs, switch career's etc.. High cost of living drives this population.

4. High attrition is due to severe competition in the market place. There are many players, trying to play the same game. There are over 100 companies in bangalore that can offer the same service. What you say ?

I sorta agree with your predictions.. It will be a difficult decision to move jobs there in the future.

- Raghu

On 7/31/07, ben.powell@cla.co.uk <ben.powell@cla.co.uk> wrote: > > I heard the wage differential isn't so great these days. I also heard how > about now, assuming continuing growth at current levels, India will start > to experience its own skills shortages. Wage inflation in India is > currently at 10%. All of which would suggest job security in the West in > these outsourced areas is increasing, or at least past the point of most > rapid upheaval; and that Indian software houses can no longer compete on > price terms alone. > > On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 03:11:18 -0700, RolandRB <rolandberry@HOTMAIL.COM> > wrote: > > >I thought I would mention this as I find it very revealing. US visits > >to my Spectre (Clinical) web site (link below) run at around 50% of > >all visits (fluctuating +-10%). This is to be expected with its huge, > >technology-oriented, innovative-thinking populace. But for non-US > >visits then INDIA makes up half of them. Half is an enormous share of > >"the rest of the world" and is as big a share as the US has on "the > >world". It goes the show the interest in SAS in India and their > >keeness to learn. And with their high educational standards and their > >lower wage costs then I think sas programmers elsewhere in the world > >should not become too complacent in their jobs. > > > >http://www.datasavantconsulting.com/roland/spectre/ >