Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Aug 2007 18:00:29 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Craig Johnson <cjohns38@gmail.com>
Subject:      SPSS Production Facility

I'm looking for some help using the SPSS Production Facility.

Background

Right now we are running through some different methodologies across several data sets. Each data set has different variables and has been collected at different periods of time. However we have went through each data set and renamed a bunch of variables so each data file can use the same generic syntax. The trick now is to use the production facility to automatically open each data file, run the syntax, and save the output. By using the production facility we'll be able to change the syntax in a single place, rerun the production facility, and get an updated set of results across X studies.

Features

1) It would be nice to have this all wrapped up in as few as possible syntax files. Ideally it would be our testing syntax and a syntax file which opens the various data set. (IE I realize I could make a test syntax file for each data set we have and then add them all to the production facility but that means I'd have to change the syntax in N number of places for the number of data sets we have. Not the best solution….need something more generic for future use.)

2) Ideally I'd be able to save an aggregate of the output. IE if I run the syntax on 100 studies the output is all saved in one output file not 100 of them. If this is possible I'd need to insert a title or something which designates where the output starts and stops for each file. If this isn't possible then I'd like to be able to save the output file with the name of the data file. Suggestions welcome as I'm back and forth on the best way to do this….. =(

Solutions?

So……….oh guru's of the SPSS production facility how about some help? I mean I'm pretty sure I could brute force this thing into working but it will probably end up making me spend a lot more time on this then needed. =) Help!