Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 19 Aug 2007 09:55:57 +0200
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Robert Bardos <bardos2@ANSYS.CH>
Subject:      Re: Utility file open failed. error

> Von: Jerry > Gesendet: Samstag, 18. August 2007 17:12 > > When running a job in a long session and doing a proc sort on a 7 million > row dataset, I am getting a Utility file open failed error. > > When I open a new session and run the same sort on the same dataset, it > would successfully complete every time. > > Does anyone know why that might be? > > I heard it might be a temp space issue, but my server's temp > space where i am submitting these jobs have atleast 680gigs free > (data set is about 200MB, so it should be more than enough). > > i am running off of SAS 9.1.3 on a windows 2003 platform server > SP1. I read something about a hot fix that address this issue, > but in 9.1.3 the hot fix should already be applied... >

If closing and reopening the session helps then we have a clear indication of some cleanup process. As there is a specific UTILLOC= system option that specifies where (proc sort et al) utility files go (with the default being the location of WORK=) you'd probably best reply back telling us what the values for systemp options UTILLOC and WORK are.

E.g. by using

%put UTILLOC <%sysfunc(pathname(%sysfunc(getoption(utilloc))))> ; %put WORK <%sysfunc(pathname(%sysfunc(getoption(work ))))> ;

I'm not really familiar with windows server platforms. Aren't there some additional potentially limiting factors such as user/group specific quota or similar?

Just my $0.02 (to get the discussion rolling) Robert