Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Thu, 23 Aug 2007 08:09:20 -0400
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Gerhard Hellriegel <gerhard.hellriegel@T-ONLINE.DE>
Subject:   Re: DISTINGUISH INTEGER AND DECIMAL

could someone please tell me, what that should bring! Are we talking about characters or integers (I understand something numeric by INTEGER!). You might understand it or not: there is nothing like INTEGER in SAS! The only numeric type in SAS is FLOAT BINARY.

Representating something like an integer requires something like BCD (Binary Coded Decimal) where each number is coded. You have a half-byte for each digit, so you can represent something like 11 (that should be an integer) with 1 Byte (not really, because you might need also negative values, so another half-byte for the sign. In float binary that is always internal something like 1.1 * 10e1. If you are converting a num to char, it is only a question with which format you do that. The default might be best8. or something like that. Use 8.2 and you'll find your dot.

Again: it's seseless to ask for type INTEGER in SAS if there is none!

Gerhard